Tuesday, April 21, 2015

What I Learned My Freshman Year of College (W/ GUEST BLOGGER!)


Hello all! Today I thought it'd be fun to share with you some of what I learned my freshman year here at Dayspring Bible College. With me I have my dear friend Katie who blogs at thesimplesouthportpearl.blogspot.com. I highly reccomend checking out her blog! You won't be dissapointed.

I have two weeks left of my first year in college, and words can't begin to express all that I have experienced and done so far. I never imagined God using me and teaching me in so many different areas. I work around 36 hours a week at the Christian preschool which is part of the church that founded Dayspring. I am honored to be a part of this incredible school and ministry. So without further ado, here are 10 things I learned my freshman year.


1. Make sure God is your absolute FIRST priority. 
Have quiet time with Him daily. God wants us to be daily in the word and in prayer with Him. This is the reason we are alive. Don’t put Him on the back burner. He has time for little old me 24/7 and has given me the PRIVILEGE of having 24/7 access to Him. Take advantage of the accessibility of our Creator who longs to have a relationship with you!


2. GET ENOUGH SLEEP.
When you don’t sleep enough, it’s really simple. You get grouchy. It’s just the way that it is. Working with kids every single day can wear a person down, especially when the class has 5 extra rowdy 4 year old boys who want to get outside and run but can’t because there’s 6 inches of Chicago snow layering the ground. Being emotionally and physically tired can really tear you down over time. You can’t serve God 100% effectively when only half your mind is in it. I can’t stress the importance of this enough.


3. Treat others how you want to be treated.
Especially in the dorm. Yep, 5 people in one bathroom is kinda hard and 3 people in one room is interesting. Having to learn to share space is rough. 16 girls shoving food into 1 fridge is nearly impossible. But it works a lot better when everyone works together. We all want to be shown love, kindness and respect. So show it too! Someone spilled apple juice in the common room and didn't clean it up? Grab a paper towel and wipe it down. Don't fret about little things. In a dorm with a dozen and a half girls, drama will probably happen. Don't give ear to rumors, and let your light shine!


4. Remind your family every chance you get that you love them.
Because I hardly get to see them, I want them to always know they're on my mind. When I lived at home, I got used to knowing my parents and siblings were always there. I didn’t really have to think about not having them, it was just a fact that I would get to see them every night. Being away from my family for months at a time reminded me just how much I need them in my life. When hard things happen, it’s tough to have to call my mom when all I want to do is sit down with a cup of coffee and have her tell me what to do. Part of being an adult is learning how to decision make on your own, and learning this lesson has been really good, but it’s difficult. Remind your family every moment you can that they’re important to you. States can’t separate the love that God has put inside of a family.


5. Manage your time WISELY. 
Don't underestimate the power of lists. This also means try not to spend a lot of time watching movies. Food Network has a piece of my heart, but God, homework, and friends take priority. Manage your time to allow room for school, work and fun. We aren’t guaranteed our next breath so DO NOT waste your time. Have your time with God, do your homework, involve yourself in ministry and volunteering, and make time for the things you’re passionate about.


6. Take a deep breath and pass out the tract.
Having boldness in witnessing has been something I’ve been really learning over the course of this year. Going to downtown Chicago and passing out 100 tracts was terrifying yet SO fulfilling. I imagined the Apostle Paul and how much trial and persecution he got for sharing the gospel. It isn’t hard to hand out some tracts, or give them to the lady at the checkout line. I’ve left the store with the tract still in my hand and was just devastated because it’s something SO simple I could’ve done to share Christ. Being bold ambassadors for Christ is my main job as a Christian, so I’ve learned that I can’t let myself get scared.


7. Dorm rooms, although small, are VERY hard to keep clean.
I never had to clean my room at home because I never got it dirty. Keeping my dorm room clean is HARD. With such a busy schedule, it’s easy to throw my pj’s on the ground and run out of my room in the morning with my bed unmade. Sweeping and dusting are weekly jobs, and three articles of clothing on the ground make it look like your closet threw up. I try to put something away right after I’m done using it and that’s kinda my trick to always having it clean. BUT it is hard, and does require some effort.


8. Go to council.
As a freshman, I've had lots of big decisions and confusing life changes. Listening to women who are older, love The Lord and are experienced has truly helped me grow. A lot of people don’t want to go to people older than them because they think they’ll get “old fashioned” advice, or be told things they just simply don’t want to hear. Yeah, sometimes I’ve had to be told some brutal truths, but these are people that care about me and my walk with the Lord. Talking to my council about my problems and trials in life has really gave me some clarity when otherwise I might have none. Being totally honest and open with these few ladies has truly gotten me through some dark days, and it’s one of the most important things I’ve come to learn.


9. Be friendly to everyone.
People have bad days. Showing them love when they're being unlovable is what true love Jesus style is. If your best friend made you upset, forgive her. She's God’s daughter too. Show grace and mercy all the time. Do kind things for others - if you see someone's garbage by their door in their dorm  waiting to go out, take it out for them. If the floor in the hall is full of dust bunnies, pick them up. Do small things because they do make a difference. Even if people don't see what you're doing, God does. It’s the key to really enjoying the dorm life - don’t get bothered by little things.


10. The last and most important thing that I learned my freshman year of college is: Jesus is the true best friend who CAN NOT be unfaithful.
People will fail you. You're going to get hurt and you're going to feel betrayed at some point. But we have a best friend who longs to have a personal relationship with us. Allow your heart, soul and mind to be in complete harmony with the Lord. He is there on the darkest nights and longs to be the source of your joy on the best days. There were nights this last year that I felt like I didn’t have anyone in the world to talk to, that my family misunderstood...but that’s when I realize the importance of my friendship with the Lord. Psalm 139:17-18 are two verses that I absolutely love and they say, “How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, o God, how great is the sum of them. If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand, when I am awake, I am still with thee.” I know that I have someone who does understand me and can be there when I’m hurting. It’s impossible for Him to fail me.

So there you have it. These are the main things I feel God has taught me over these last many months. I'm so excited to see what the next 3 years hold for me as I continue my schooling in Christian Music Education and Biblical Studies! Thanks for reading. :)


Hey guys, I’m Katie! I am the blogger behind The Simple Southport Pearl. This year was also the first year of college for me, but my experiences were very different than Emilie’s. She seems to be rockin’ college!


A little bit of background, I decided to go to a secular community college that is about 40 minutes away. I lived at home and worked about 20 hours a week. It was quite the experience to say the least, and I learned a ton. So, without any more of my babbling, here are ten things that I learned during my first year of college.


  1. God puts you places for a reason and a purpose. I’m not going to lie. This year has been extremely hard, and I struggle every day going to the college that I do. The first semester I found myself angry with the world because things didn’t go my way. I was at a school that I strongly dislike, I had no friends, no time, and I felt unhappy all the time. (Being unhappy every day was new and foreign to me because I am naturally a very optimistic person.) I didn’t see the bigger picture. It was only after my parents explained to me that I was there for a reason that things began to turn around. (Parents save the day once again! Cherish them guys they are LIFE SAVERS.) Things had been provided for me to go there and it was where God wanted me. Because I ended up there, I am now going to graduate with my associates this summer and will be transferring to the University of Northern Iowa in the fall, as a Junior. I’m also debt free, and have had the ability to work and save more money. I’ve had the opportunity to fall in love with my church even more, and have gotten involved with Cubbies through the AWANA program. I love those children like they are my own!  Had I not gone to my community college first, though, none of that would have happened. Trust God. He sees the big picture while we, obviously, do not.


  1. Having a job in college is wonderful. You may not see it that way, but trust me, it’s a blessing. It teaches you time management and to have a good work ethic. It also keeps you out of trouble...if you know what I mean.


  1. Fresh starts are amazing. Going to college is a whole new fresh start, so take advantage of it! No one knows the horrible things of the past and people can see you for what you really are. The key to the fresh start though is making it count. The fresh start is good, but keep in mind that it can go downhill real quick. The best advice I can give is to be smart and don’t do dumb things. I’m sure you can define dumb things by yourself. ;)


  1. Make time. Things won’t get done unless you make time. This year I have had little to no time at all. I go to school, I go to work, I do homework, I go to church, I eat, and sleep when I get the chance. If you want to do something, plan it. If you don’t, it will simply be a miracle if it actually gets done. Lists have been my bestie this year.


  1. Learn to be a morning person. I assure you, it is extremely possible, even for a college student, and dare I say it… WITHOUT COFFEE. My first semester I worked at 6am and on off days I had class at 8am. This meant getting up at 4, to be ready by 5 so I could have a half hour of peace during breakfast before I had to leave at 5:30. People called me insane but guess what, I learned to love it. That doesn’t mean I love getting up at 4am everyday (I’m not that crazy ha!) but I have learned to like mornings and it taught me discipline. I’m sure we can all use a little more of that.


  1. Learn to stand your ground. Going to a secular school, especially the one I am at, it seems like everyone and their dog disagrees with you, and are more than willing to throw negativity your way. First off, you have to learn to suck it up and take it. (I know, such lovely advice huh?) Secondly, know what you believe and why you believe it. People are going to challenge you and you have to know your stuff. Yes, it’s going to suck. It doesn’t give you warm and fuzzy feelings to be made fun of or called horrible things, but it’s life. I hate to break it to you, but it’s not going to get any easier any time soon. BUT IT’S OKAY! Haters gonna hate right? Embrace the hate, learn your stuff, and shake it off. ;)


  1. LEARN TO BE INDEPENDENT. I know what you’re thinking. This girl lived at home so what the heck does she know about independence? Well, you’re right. I still have a lot to learn in this department and I’m sure my head will be spinning once I get up to UNI and my parents drive off into the sunset. But, lemme tell ya, independence is wonderful and freeing, no matter what amount you have. One thing I have gained from my year of making a whopping zero friends at school is independence. Learn to appreciate your loved ones and friends outside of school. Learn to be confident in who you are through Christ. He is your best friend, people. Learn to do things on your own, and take responsibility for yourself. Oh, and make your bed. Your mothers will be so proud! :)


  1. Learn to forgive. Like your fresh start, let others have that as well. Forgive those who have wronged you. Sometimes, it is the hardest thing in the world, and it just doesn’t seem right; but it is. Keeping anger bottled up does nothing and is poisonous to your life. Learn to forgive. Christ forgave us for every stupid, mean, horrendous thing we have ever done, and will ever do. If He can do that, we should too.


  1. Don’t party. Just don’t. I can honestly say I have made it this far into my freshman year and I have not gone to a party. I have NO desire whatsoever to go to one either. Don’t be that person. Invest your time into things that last and don’t make you feel like death the next morning. For example, getting involved in your church. I have worked with the AWANA kids this year, and I’m pretty sure the kids have taught me more than I have taught them. I also make a killer line leader.


  1. Make the most of it. While school is still a sore subject for me many days, I have come to realize that I will most likely laugh at it later. Push through and get ‘er done! Find where your passions lie and listen for what God wants for you. If there is one thing I have learned this year it’s that God has a plan that is far greater than what we could ever imagine, or even attempt to plan ourselves. Have fun. Do crazy, exciting, weird, and spontaneous things. Do good. Work hard. Be KIND. Have courage. Find that true happiness lies with Christ, and learn to trust Him more.
  2. Wait, 11? I thought only 10...well surprise guys! I have an eleventh. Partially because I just thought of this, and partially because it drives the OCD people of the world crazy when bloggers end on an odd number. I may or may not be one of those people... Anyways, learn to appreciate differences. I used to think that “good” people fit in a box. They acted, dressed, talked, etc. all a certain way. If they didn’t fit in this imaginary box I had in my head, then they must not be a “good” person, or a Christian, or whatever you fill in the blank. My lanta, did God teach me a lesson. Throughout this year, I have learned that not only can you not put people in a box, but you also can’t put God in a box. God made people special in their own unique way. Just because they aren’t like you, doesn’t mean that they aren’t “good”. (I know this sounds absolutely horrible, but I can’t find another way to put it. Please forgive me.) God gave people unique talents, abilities, passions, and gifts. It is terrible of me to write someone off just because they are differently from me. Moral of the story is that you should love people and see differences as blessings. Besides, how boring would it be if everyone was the exact same way?

So, there are just ten (or eleven ;)) things that I learned my first year of college. I would love to hear what you all thought of them, and if you could relate! Also, a big thanks to Emilie for inviting me to her lovely blog, and letting my thoughts run wild! :)



Thanks so much for reading!
Stay excellent,


No comments:

Post a Comment